Subject: sot_co: JOP 189 / HOP 20

From: "Zoe Frank" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:55:41 -0700

Dear Sigrid and Jan,

I am one of the Hinode SOT Chief Observers during your upcoming HOP 20 
campaign and I wanted to confirm with you that we will support HOP 20 
starting with observations on Saturday, 8/18.

The SOT observations you requested were for Ca H, Gband, and 6302 
magnetograms, 2Kx2K field of view (~109"x109"), binned 2x2 (to 1kx1k 
final size) at 30 second cadence per wavelength (10 sec between 
images). We will try to accomodate this but may have to increase the 
cadence depending on telemetry restrictions.

Please send your targeting information to [email-masked] 
(include "sot_co:" in the subject line, as in this message).  We will 
need both Saturday and Sunday target pointing before 10 AM JST (01:00 
UT) Friday.

We wish you continued success with this campaign.

Yours,
Zoe

========================================================
  Zoe Frank
  Lockheed Martin ATC, O/ADBS, Bldg 252
  3251 Hanover St., Palo Alto, CA 94304
  ph:(650)424-4009, fx:(650)424-3994, em: [email-masked]
========================================================

---

From: "Zoe Frank" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 00:52:17 -0700

Dear Sigrid,

During the upcoming HOP 20 campaign, we would like to offset your 
target by a fixed amount (10 arcsec) in our SOT field of view to 
better position it on our CCD. Would this be acceptable to you?

For the SOT team,
Zoe

===========================================================
  Zoe Frank
  Lockheed Martin ATC, O/ADBS, Bldg 252
  3251 Hanover St., Palo Alto, CA 94304
  ph:(650)424-4009, fx:(650)424-3994, em: [email-masked]
===========================================================

---

From: "Zoe Frank" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 03:18:08 -0700

Hi Astrid,

I'm very sorry. I meant when you do provide pointing information, we 
would like to shift the image on our CCD. It's an internal shift but 
it is something you should be aware of for accurate alignment of data 
from several instuments.

However, I made an error in timing. Please send your pointing 
information to us *two* days before your observations (not the day 
before). Hinode's observing day starts at 11 UT. Infomation we have by 
1 UT on the 17th can be included in the observations starting at 11 UT 
on the 18th. So, please send your pointing information for both 8/18 
and 8/19 by 01:00 UT.

Yours,
Zoe

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:18:00 +0200
  [email-masked] wrote:
> Dear Zoe,
> 
> I took over the HOP20 coordination from Sigrid. 
> 
> As regards your sugggested target offset: I am a little confused. 
>Our HOP20
> campaign starts 18/8 (and will run until 23/8), and we have not yet 
>specified a
> target but will send our first target info, following your 
>discussion with
> Sigrid, until Fr 17/8 01 UT latest. Did I misunderstand something?
> 
> Best regards,
> Astrid 
> for the HOP20 team
> 
> 
>> Dear Sigrid,
>> 
> (IGAM/UG)
> -------------------------------------------------
> This mail sent through IMP: http://horde.org/imp/

---

From: "Zoe Frank" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 02:31:45 -0700

Hi Astrid,

I have one more request. Please email targeting to the 
[email-masked] address (adding sot_co: in the subject line, 
as well) during the HOP 20 campaign.

Also, note that the field of view for your data will be centered 10 
arcsec west of disk center and the best cadence we could get in our 
telemetry  was 35 seconds. I hope this will work for your team.

Yours,
Zoe

---

From: "Zoe Frank" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:13:42 -0700

Hi  Astrid,

See comments below:

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:39:17 +0200
  [email-masked] wrote:
> Hi Zoe,
> 
> here is our HOP20 pointing for Monday and Tuesday, where we would 
>like to follow
> first QS at disk center and then the decaying AR/magnetic flux 
>concentration for
> our microflare study.  
> 
> Monday 20/8,  7:00-10:40 UT: (x,y) = (0, 0)       , no tracking
> Monday 20/8, 10:40-13:30 UT: (x,y) = (+70, -240)  , no tracking
> Tuesday 21/8, 7:00-10:40 UT: (x,y) = (+260, -240) , no tracking

Understood.

> 
> These pointings are the same ones we sent to the EIS team. The 
>"10:40" time 
> refers to the beginning of a new Hinode observing day, and should be 
>adjusted to
> its exact time (I think it's exact time is changing a bit from day 
>to day?)

Yes, and the chief planner can adjust for it.

> 
> The pointing for the Tuesday 21/8 10:40-13:30 and Wednesday 22/8 
>07:00-10:40
> period I will send to you by Monday 20/8, 1 UT. As I understood from 
>your email,
> this will be early enough.
> 
> Please let me know if this is all ok.

This is perfect. Thanks for your patience  and good luck with your 
observing.

Yours,
Zoe

---

From: "Zoe Frank" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:45:16 -0700

Hi Astrid,

Regarding your question below, yes, all three Hinode instruments plan 
observations on the same schedule. In the observations we have running 
over the weekend, EIS and SOT are co-pointed but the the center of the 
109"x109" SOT images will be 10" west of the EIS FOV center.

The *.gif files at https://sot.lmsal.com/operations/timeline/ is a 
good graphical representation of our daily plans, including pointing. 
There are other details about the observations there, too.

Hope this helps,
Zoe

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:35:14 +0200
  [email-masked] wrote:
> I have another question regarding the planning: The Hinode/EIS team 
>splits the
> plannning/pointing for our campaign since our obs. period spans over 
>2 Hinode
> obs. days. Of course we want to combine EIS and SOT in our campaign, 
>so the
> question is whether it is possible to split the SOT 
>planning/pointing
> accordingly into 
> a) 7:00 until approx 11 UT, and 
> b) approx 11 UT until 13:30 UT.