Subject: Re: [eis_co:01155] eis_co:

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 04:19:07 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Astrid,

Starting tomorrow (Friday 17th JST), myself and John Mariska will be the
EIS chief observers and we will be handling your campaign observations.

At tomorrow's morning meeting we will discuss the targetting for the
period 10:20-12:00UT on Aug. 18, 8-12UT on Aug. 19, and 8-10 approx on
Aug. 20. The pointing will then be adjusted on saturday morning JST (18th)
as close to the observations time as possible. We have instructions to
point at quiet sun near disk center (network dynamics) or an active region
(microflare study). If you want to suggest the target (AR or QS) then
please send it by 1UT on Friday 17th. If you want to suggest an exact
pointing then please send it by 1UT on Saturday 18th.

On saturday we will discuss the pointing for the period 10-12UT (approx)
on Aug. 20 and 8-10UT on Aug. 21. If you want to suggest pointing for that
please send it by 1UT on Aug. 20.

Once the pointings and day's plan has been made I will send you the EIS
plan file where you can see how and when your studies will be run and when
there is a gap for the observations table upload. Also, be aware that the
spacecraft-wide plan is also uploaded during your observations period, so
there may be a short gap as the onboard command store is changed.

Best regards, and good luck with the weather at the DOT.

David Brooks

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 22:34:41 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Astrid,

Thanks for the reply.

> To summarize, if I understand right, in case of exact
> pointing the information:
> - for Aug 18 (Sat) and 19 (Sun) will be needed until Fri Aug 18, 1 UT -
for Aug 20 (Mon) and Aug 21 (Tue) until Aug 20, 1 UT
> Is this right?

Not quite right. Today we will make a 2-day plan, so the first part of
your campaign on Mon. 20th will be included (8-10 approx.). So we really
needed your pointing for that by now. However, since the sun is quiet and
the pointing is basically disk center it won't be any problem. We added it
in for Monday.

Tomorrow morning we will need your pointings for 10-12 on Mon. and 8-10 on
Tuesday. Your campaign spans across two observing periods when the Hinode
command store is changed (8-10 and 10-12) so it will be split like this
all week (times only approximate).

As for the disk center pointing. You said that you want (0,0) without
tracking but you also said that you want EIS to adjust for solar rotation
and add 10" for every hour. This caused some confusion at the meeting. Can
you clarify whether you want fixed pointing or tracking? Tomorrow's plan
has been made with fixed (no tracking) pointing at disk center but we
could change that for the next upload.

I will send you the details of the plan later today.

Best wishes,
David.

period 10:20-12:00UT on Aug. 18, 8-12UT on Aug. 19, and 8-10 approx on
Aug. 20. The pointing will then be adjusted on saturday morning JST
(18th)
>> as close to the observations time as possible. We have instructions to
point at quiet sun near disk center (network dynamics) or an active
region

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 04:02:03 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Astrid,

Below is the plan for HOP20. We don't expect to change your studies or
pointings at tomorrow's meeting unless you object.

ID   Study Name            Date         Start     Stop     Pointing

196  Microflr+network_1    18-Aug-2007 10:21:00--10:46:55  (0,0) fixed 
197  Microflr+network_2    18-Aug-2007 10:49:00--13:09:36  (0,0) fixed 
196  Microflr+network_1    18-Aug-2007 13:12:00--13:29:24  (0,0) fixed 
196  Microflr+network_1    19-Aug-2007 06:40:00--07:31:28  (0,0) fixed 
197  Microflr+network_2    19-Aug-2007 07:34:00--12:42:52  (0,0) fixed 
196  Microflr+network_1    19-Aug-2007 12:45:00--13:27:57  (0,0) fixed 
196  Microflr+network_1    20-Aug-2007 07:02:00--07:27:55  (0,0) fixed 
197  Microflr+network_2    20-Aug-2007 07:30:00--08:26:28  (0,0) fixed 
197  Microflr+network_2    20-Aug-2007 08:47:00--10:39:33  (0,0) fixed

Some explanations:

1) Hinode participation is starting a little late on 18-Aug (10.21) so we
ran the context scan for you first rather than go straight to the
sit-and-stare.

2) For the other days we seem to be running the campaign between 07 and
13:30. So EIS is on the same target as you anyway and we saw no reason to
not extend the runs of your studies. You will get about 6.5 hours instead
of 4 as a result.

3) because of 2) we are starting at 6.40 on 19-Aug. We were unsure if you
wanted 3 context scans starting at 7 or would be ok to have them start at
6.40. So we ran 6 scans so you would definitely have 3 after 7. Please let
us know if you would just like to have 3 followed by more repeats of the
sit-and-stare study.

4) The gap for EIS table upload is between 8:26 and 8:47 on Aug. 20.

5) There will be a gap between 10:39 and 11:04 on Aug.20 as the command
store is changed. We ran an engineering test in here between 10:40 and
10:50 so watch out for it in the fits files!

Finally, I'm still not sure I understand your fixed/tracking discussion. I
can see how it would make a difference if we were tracking, but if we are
fixed at disk center then surely it shouldn't matter when any instrument
joins? We are always pointing at the same coordinates (albeit not the same
patch of Sun).

Best wishes,
David.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:00:51 +0200

Dear David,

thanks for sending the EIS plan. We agree with the scheduled studies and pointings.

> ran the context scan for you first rather than go straight to the
Ok.

> not extend the runs of your studies. You will get about 6.5 hours instead
That's great. Thanks.

> us know if you would just like to have 3 followed by more repeats of the
The 6 scans are ok.
 
> 10:50 so watch out for it in the fits files!
Ok, we'll be aware.

> joins? We are always pointing at the same coordinates (albeit not the same
You are fully right. For fixed pointing it does not matter. Sorry, my mistake. 
 
Best wishes,
Astrid
(IGAM/UG)
-------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through IMP: http://horde.org/imp/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 20:26:48 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Astrid,

Thanks for the pointing information.
> Observing time                     :     Info due
> Mon 20, 10-12 UT & Tue 21, 8-10 UT :     Sat 18, 1 UT
> Tue 21, 10-12 UT & Wed 22, 8-10 UT :     Mon 20, 1 UT
> Wed 22, 10-12 UT & Thu 23, 8-10 UT :     Tue 21, 1 UT
> Thu 23, 10-12 UT                   :     Wed 22, 1 UT

This is all correct except that you can make an adjustment on the day of
the upload, so we would need the general target and preliminary pointing
at the times you suggest, but small adjustments (not target changes) could
be made as late as Mon 20, 1UT, Tue 21, 1UT, Wed 22, 1UT, and Thu 23 1UT,
for the examples above.

Hope this clarifies things.

Best wishes,
David.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 00:56:29 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Astrid,

Below is the plan for HOP20 for Monday's upload.

196  Microflr+network_1    20-Aug-2007 11:04:00--11:29:55  (69.77,-240.12)
197  Microflr+network_2    20-Aug-2007 11:32:00--12:56:30  (69.84,-240.12)

196  Microflr+network_1    20-Aug-2007 12:58:30--13:24:25  (69.84,-240.12)

196  Microflr+network_1    21-Aug-2007 07:02:00--07:27:55
(259.92,-240.12)
197  Microflr+network_2    21-Aug-2007 07:29:55--08:54:25
(259.92,-240.12)
197  Microflr+network_2    21-Aug-2007 09:25:00--09:53:25
(259.92,-240.12)
196  Microflr+network_1    21-Aug-2007 09:55:25--10:21:20
(259.92,-240.12)

Some more explanations/questions...

1. We thought that you intended to run the context scan, then the
sit-and-stare (SNS) and finish on another context scan. So we ended the
previous plan on the quiet Sun SNS observations expecting to resume them
in this plan.

However, you changed the pointing away from quiet Sun to the bright region
so the context-SNS-context cycle was broken. We weren't sure what you
wanted at the start of this plan as a result, so we ran the
context-SNS-context as if it was a complete block. This made more sense to
us, but please let us know if this is ok with you.

2. There is a gap for the upload contact on Aug. 21 between 9:10 and 9:25.
Some engineering will be done just before that so your observations will
pause at 8:54.

3. Because of 1. we decided to end these observations with a context scan.
That gives you maximum flexibility to change the pointing for the next
plan.

4. We have attached a screen grab of the fixed pointing for the studies
due to run on Aug. 21. If the bright region is the target, it looks like
the pointing will be slightly off by then. Would you like us to update the
pointing on Monday?

By the way, according to the information you are sending us, we can
actually fine tune the pointing about 12 hours closer to the observations
than you are able to. Of course we will point at the coordinates you
select, but please let us know if you would like to take advantage of this
possibility.

Best wishes,
David.