Subject: Request for TRACE observations

From: Jan Rybak <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 06:01:29 +0000 (GMT)

Dear TRACE colleagues,

Dr. Hurlburt has informed me during the SacPeak workshop that TRACE
will be still in business also after Oct 1! Happy with this great
information
I would like to ask you for TRACE support of our following SST/DOT observing 
campaign:

- period 2005.10.18--2005.10.31 (14days): 
- coordinator: Jan Rybak ([email-masked])
- title: Spectroscopy and imaging tomography of the solar fibrils:
         photospheric drivers and coronal consequences
         (http://www.solarphysics.kva.se/schedule2005.html)
- targets: quit sun, both disk center and near limb, selected day in advance
           according to actual situation at the Sun 
- procedure: Lyman alpha, with WL, 1600, 1550, and 171 every ~10 minutes 
             for context.

This campaign is planning to support the SOHO JOP171, lead by my
PhD student Peter Gomory ([email-masked]) who is asking for 
CDS/SOHO instrument only for this period.

All other requests to other instruments (TRACE, MDI, EIT) we plan to 
submit via my SST/DOT campaign.

At first I have checked your TRACE future observing plans,
as of 25 August 2005 at http://chippewa.nascom.nasa.gov/TRACE/ops/
timeline/monthly_plan/current_plan.txt.

I see there mainly:

1/ quiet-Sun study with MDI and CDS
      POC: Daniel Brown <[email-masked]>
      TRACE: 195, with 171 and 1600 every ~10 minutes for context.
      Target: within MDI high-res.

2/ 19, 26 Oct.:    EIT Shutterless #21, TBC

3/ MWF: central-meridian synoptic observations in UV/WL/171 
   INO: network-internetwork oscillations 
   HRW: survey of high-frequency running waves 

With program 1/ it seems we cannot cooperate (its own CDS lines,
TRACE high temperature channels). Programs 3/ seems to be very short
so I do not expect real conflicts.

My questions are:

Q1: can we get TRACE support for the La/Palma morning hours (07:00-13:00) 
    shifting all other programs 1/, 2/, and 3/ for the rest of the days?

Q2: Can we get a contact to PI of program 2/ EIT shutterless #21?
    Maybe we can cooperate finding a common target and profit from
    cooperative data acquisition of our data.

Of course, I am open for compromises which can come due to oversubscribed
TRACE. Please just let me know in which way such compromise can be reached.
Then I can send you more technical details for TRACE observations we plan
to run.

Looking forward to hear from you

Jan Rybak

30/8/2005

********************************************************************
* Jan Rybak                    tel.   : ++421 52 4467 866-8 (work) *
* Astronomical Institute       fax    : ++421 52 4467 656   (work) *
* Slovak Academy of Sciences   e-mail : [email-masked]              *
* 05960 Tatranska Lomnica      WWW    : http://www.astro.sk/~choc  *
* Slovak Republic                                                  *
********************************************************************