Subject: request for TRACE observations

From: Jan Rybak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:35:00 +0000 (GMT)

Dear TRACE colleagues,

I would like to ask you for the TRACE support of the following 
SST+DOT/LaPalma observing campaign:

- title:  Spectroscopy and imaging tomography of the solar fibrils: 
	  photospheric drivers and coronal consequences

- period: 2006.04.11-04.26 (16 days)

- coordinator: Jan Rybak ([email-masked])

- proposal: http://www.astro.sk/~choc/open/06_opticon_sstdot/rybak_sst_dot_06.pdf

- campaign approved and granted by the observing time of SST and DOT:
  SST schedule: http://www.solarphysics.kva.se/schedule2006.html 
  DOT schedule: http://dot.astro.uu.nl/web-schedule2006.txt

- targets: quit sun near the disk center, target selected day in advance
           according to actual situation at the Sun

- procedure: - sequences of 171 A and 1550 A images (is it possible to
	       alternate them one after other in the sequence?), 
               interrupted with a set of WL, 1600A, 1216A images every ~10 
	       minutes for context,
             - if alternation of 171 A and 1550 A images one after other is
               not possible we then prefer to add the 1550 A image or 171A
               image to the set of context images (in this case we plan  
               to exchange these two channels in different observing day)
	     - exposure time specified using the automatic mode
	     - 1024x1024 or 512x512 images

- time requested: each day from 07:00 till 17:00 UT if possible,
                  if not the morning hours are more needed (till 13:30 UT)

This campaign is requesting also support by some SOHO instruments (MDI, 
EIT, CDS) in parallel. 

Operation of the campaign will be performed directly at LaPalma at 
the SST but using my home email address [email-masked]. 

At first I have checked your TRACE future observing plans
http://chippewa.nascom.nasa.gov/TRACE/current_plan.txt.
I see there mainly: 12, 19 April 2006: EIT Shutterless #23. 18-24UT
With this program I do not expect real conflicts.

Of course, we are open for compromises which can come due to oversubscribed
TRACE later. Please just let me know in which way such compromise can be 
reached. We are also open to accept some other technical limitations
of the TRACE instruments.

Looking forward to hear from you whether you can support our g-b 
observations with your superb TRACE images again and with many
thanks beforehand

Jan Rybak

23/2/2006

********************************************************************
* Jan Rybak                    tel.   : ++421 52 4467 866-8 (work) *
* Astronomical Institute       fax    : ++421 52 4467 656   (work) *
* Slovak Academy of Sciences   e-mail : [email-masked]              *
* 05960 Tatranska Lomnica      WWW    : http://www.astro.sk/~choc  *
* Slovak Republic                                                  *
********************************************************************

---

From: Jan Rybak <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 06:48:17 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Dawn,

many thanks for your reply again. It seems to me this is the third time
you are on duty in the TRACE team to help us with the TRACE support
for our g-b observing campaign...

> We have penciled in your coordination on the TRACE calendar. As you say we
> do have the EIT shutterless which will be priority for us on the 12th &
> 19th of April. 

Thanks a lot. Of course, EIT shutterless will be priority on the 12th &
19th of April. 

> With regards to your program because of possible data loss due to the
> quadrant selector, I would suggest running 171 A in the main and
> everything else in context. We can do the sequence of 171 & 1550 for
> possibly a few hours if desired but the entire observing period would be
> too long. This can be hammered out in more detail as your observing window
> approaches. 

OK. So following your reply we would prefer to have 3 modes of observations:
1/ running  171 A in the main and everything else in context
2/ running 1550 A in the main and everything else in context
3/ sequence of 171 & 1550 for a few hours then mode 1/ or 2/

Each day only one mode will be of interest.
The mode 3/ will be requested only in the case that the first 2 mode will
be already realized and all technical things at SST,DOT,SOHO/CDS will be
running perfectly and there will be high chance for excellent seeing
(and not on Sunday or Monday).
We agree that this details can be solved when our observing window will
approach.

> Please be advised that TRACE requires pointing information the day before
> an observation is to take place and that we will need pointing information
> for Saturday, Sunday and Monday on the preceding Friday.

Yes, we know. Could you please reply what is the optimal time [hours] to get 
pointing information for the TRACE planning?

With many thanks for your help

Jan Rybak

TL, 24/02/2006

**************************************************************************
* Jan Rybak                   tel.  : ++421 52 78791-56 (-11 secretary)  *
* Astronomical Institute      fax   : ++421 52 4467 656                  *
* Slovak Academy of Sciences  email : [email-masked]                      *
* 05960 Tatranska Lomnica     WWW   : http://www.astro.sk/~choc          *
* Slovak Republic                                                        *
**************************************************************************