Subject: request for the TRACE support

From: Jan Rybak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 09:47:01 +0000 (UTC)

Dear TRACE colleagues,

I would like to ask you for the TRACE support of the following g-b DOT/LaPalma
(Canary Islands, Spain) observing campaign for which we apply also for the 
SOHO JOP at the same time.

- title:  Physical mechanisms driving solar microflares and supergranular
          network dynamics - relevance for coronal heating

- period: 2007.08.03-2007.08.31 (28 days)

- leader : Jan Rybak ([email-masked])

- proposal: http://www.astro.sk/~choc/open/07_dot/rybak_dot_proposal_2007.pdf

- campaign page: http://www.astro.sk/~choc/open/07_dot/07_dot.html

- campaign approved and granted by the observing time of DOT:
  see the DOT schedule: http://dot.astro.uu.nl/web-schedule2007.txt

- targets: quit sun near the disk center or at mju~0.5, 
           target selected day in advance according to actual situation on
           the Sun

- procedure: - sequences of 171 A images 
               interrupted with a set of WL, 1600A, 1550A, 1216 images every ~10
               minutes for context,
             - exposure time specified using the automatic mode
             - 1024x1024 images

- TRACE period requested: 03/08-31/08/2007

- TRACE time requested: each day from 07:00 till 13:30 UT if possible

At first I have checked your TRACE future observing plans at 
http://chippewa.nascom.nasa.gov/TRACE/current_plan.txt finding remarks
on the following other programs:

05 - 18 Aug 2007: Filament/Cavity-CME-ICME IHY-CIP campaign 
                  POC:kathy reeves <[email-masked]>

27 Aug - 14 Oct 2007: JOP 178 will run sometime in this period w/VTT/SST/THEMIS 
                  POC:Brigitte Schmieder  <[email-masked]>

I hope that there will be a change to manage requirements of all programs
to provide some time for each group. (On the other side, for some days we 
can cosider/decide to follow the target selected by other programs.)

Looking forward to hear from you whether you can support our g-b
observations with your superb TRACE images again and with many
thanks beforehand

Jan Rybak

16/05/2007

********************************************************************
* Jan Rybak                    tel.   : ++421 52 7879 156          *
* Astronomical Institute       fax    : ++421 52 4467 656          *
* Slovak Academy of Sciences   e-mail : [email-masked]              *
* 05960 Tatranska Lomnica      WWW    : http://www.astro.sk/~choc  *
* Slovak Republic                                                  *
********************************************************************

---

From: Jan Rybak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 05:50:44 +0000 (UTC)

Dear Dawn,

many thanks for your immediate reply as well as for all actions you have
done.

> I have cc'd Kathy and Brigitte who are the POCs for the respective
> programs that are conflicting with your requested time. Kathy has already
> informed me that the timing of the IHY filament campaign has not yet been
> set but there are some GB observatories involved and she will let me know.
> Brigitte, do you have defined dates yet for the next run of JOP 178?
> 
> Jan, once we know more about the other campaigns we can try to work out
> something for TRACE committment. I will place a note concerning your
> program on the calendar. At the very least we will be able to coordinate
> between 18 - 27 August

I staying tuned to know about Kathy's and Brigitte's planing details. I hope,
additionally, that for at least some days we could share the same target 
(AR around the disk center if available).
 
With best wishes

Jan Rybak

TL, 17/05/2007

**************************************************************************
* Jan Rybak                   tel.  : ++421 52 7879 156 (111 secretary)  *
* Astronomical Institute      fax   : ++421 52 4467 656                  *
* Slovak Academy of Sciences  email : [email-masked]                      *
* 05960 Tatranska Lomnica     WWW   : http://www.astro.sk/~choc          *
* Slovak Republic                                                        *
**************************************************************************

> Thanks
> Dawn
> 
> Dawn Myers				Phone: +1 301 286 5283
> NASA/GSFC	 			E-mail: [email-masked]
> 
> 
> 
> 
> On Wed, 16 May 2007, Jan Rybak wrote:
> 
> > 
> > 
> > Dear TRACE colleagues,
> >

---

From: Jan Rybak <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 04:19:32 +0000 (UTC)

Dear Dawn,

many thanks for your email and your suggestion.

> The TRACE team talked over your proposal and the others during your
> observing period and here is what we propose. We can support the
> microflares campaign from 20 - 31 August. For the 03 - 20 August if no
> good target for the various filaments and prominence campaigns present
> themselves then we can possibly support microflares. 

We completely agree. 

So for our microflare/network campaign : 20-31/8/2007 : 07:00-13:30 UT definitely.
Possibly also for some days between 03-20/8. 

For cooperation between 03-20/8 it would be very good to have information about
filament/prominence target positions well in advance to be able either to follow
it with rest of "our" instruments or to be able to specify our own target in
case no good target for the filaments and prominence campaigns present themselves. 
How to manage this? Do you have a suggestion?

With best wishes

Jan Rybak

TL, 18/5/07