Subject: Re: JOP 185

From: Jan Rybak <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 08:41:42 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Dawn,

many thanks for your reply again.

>I am the TRACE planner for the start of your JOP next week. As a reminder
>TRACE will need pointing the day before an observation by 12 noon Goddard
>time and on Friday I will need target information for Saturday, Sunday and
>Monday. Could you please confirm your prime observing time?

Yes, I will send you the target not later than at 16 UT on April 10 for 
April 11, and so on the next days. On Friday information for Saturday, 
Sunday and Monday will be sent.

Our prime observing time is from 07:00 till 13:30 UT. It would be nice
to have these run extended to 17 UT is possible.

>Also your program is asking for 171 and 1550 alternating which we may be
>able to do for a few hours but not necessarily all day, we will need to
>see how things go next week.

OK, no problem. So let us start with the first from the 3 following 
modes of TRACE observations:
1/ running  171 A in the main and everything else in context
2/ running 1550 A in the main and everything else in context
3/ sequence of 171 & 1550 for a few hours then mode 1/ or 2/

Extremely important for us is to have 171 being exposed at 7:00 and 
also around 13:00 UT as at this time EIT is doing exposures in this 
channel - we need this for coalignemnt purposes with other instruments.

For the next days only one mode will be of interest. The mode 3/ will be 
requested only in the case that the first 2 mode will be already realised 
and all technical things at SST,DOT,SOHO/CDS will be running perfectly 
and there will be high chance for excellent seeing at LaPalma 
(and not on Sat, Sun or Mon).

So I will write to you again on April 10.

Wishing nice weekend days

Jan Rybak

TL, 07/04/2006

**************************************************************************
* Jan Rybak                   tel.  : ++421 52 78791-56 (-11 secretary)  *
* Astronomical Institute      fax   : ++421 52 4467 656                  *
* Slovak Academy of Sciences  email : [email-masked]                      *
* 05960 Tatranska Lomnica     WWW   : http://www.astro.sk/~choc          *
* Slovak Republic                                                        *
**************************************************************************

Here follow my original email to TRACE planner:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear TRACE colleagues,

I would like to ask you for the TRACE support of the following
SST+DOT/LaPalma observing campaign:

- title:  Spectroscopy and imaging tomography of the solar fibrils:
          photospheric drivers and coronal consequences

- period: 2006.04.11-04.26 (16 days)

- coordinator: Jan Rybak ([email-masked])

- proposal: http://www.astro.sk/~choc/open/06_opticon_sstdot/rybak_sst_dot_06.p
df

- campaign approved and granted by the observing time of SST and DOT:
  SST schedule: http://www.solarphysics.kva.se/schedule2006.html
  DOT schedule: http://dot.astro.uu.nl/web-schedule2006.txt

- targets: quit sun near the disk center, target selected day in advance
           according to actual situation at the Sun

- procedure: - sequences of 171 A and 1550 A images (is it possible to
               alternate them one after other in the sequence?),
               interrupted with a set of WL, 1600A, 1216A images every ~10
               minutes for context,
             - if alternation of 171 A and 1550 A images one after other is
               not possible we then prefer to add the 1550 A image or 171A
               image to the set of context images (in this case we plan
               to exchange these two channels in different observing day)
             - exposure time specified using the automatic mode
             - 1024x1024 or 512x512 images

- time requested: each day from 07:00 till 17:00 UT if possible,
                  if not the morning hours are more needed (till 13:30 UT)

This campaign is requesting also support by some SOHO instruments (MDI,
EIT, CDS) in parallel.

Operation of the campaign will be performed directly at LaPalma at
the SST but using my home email address [email-masked].

At first I have checked your TRACE future observing plans
http://chippewa.nascom.nasa.gov/TRACE/current_plan.txt.
I see there mainly: 12, 19 April 2006: EIT Shutterless #23. 18-24UT
With this program I do not expect real conflicts.

Of course, we are open for compromises which can come due to oversubscribed
TRACE later. Please just let me know in which way such compromise can be
reached. We are also open to accept some other technical limitations
of the TRACE instruments.

Looking forward to hear from you whether you can support our g-b
observations with your superb TRACE images again and with many
thanks beforehand

Jan Rybak

23/2/2006

********************************************************************
* Jan Rybak                    tel.   : ++421 52 4467 866-8 (work) *
* Astronomical Institute       fax    : ++421 52 4467 656   (work) *
* Slovak Academy of Sciences   e-mail : [email-masked]              *
* 05960 Tatranska Lomnica      WWW    : http://www.astro.sk/~choc  *
* Slovak Republic                                                  *
********************************************************************