Subject: Request for MDI observations to support g-b campaign - VTT/Tenerife

From: Jan Rybak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 08:40:42 +0000 (UTC)

Dear MDI Operations Coordinators,

although the MDI will we in a keyhole in November we would like to
ask if it would be possible to support or g-b observing campaign
described below with the corresponding MDI measurements. Here follow 
the details.

Our team has been granted by the observing time for the following
VTT/Tenerife (Canary Island, Spain) observing campaign for the time 
interval November 16-26, 2006.

- title:  Spectroscopy of the quiet solar photosphere: properties
          of the shocks and location of the acoustic flux generation

- period: 2006.11.16-2006.11.26 (16 days)

- leader : Ales Kucera ([email-masked])
- coordinator of the MDI support: Jan Rybak ([email-masked])

- proposal: http://www.astro.sk/~choc/open/06_opticon_vtt/proposal/
                   kucera_vtt_2006_proposal.pdf

- campaign approved and granted by the observing time of VTT:
  VTT schedule: http://www.kis.uni-freiburg.de/obsvtt/vttplan2006.pdf

- targets: quit sun near the disk center or at mju up to 0.5,
           target selected day in advance according to actual situation on
           the Sun

- MDI data of interest: - FD or HR magnetograms (1 per minute) +
			- WL context images (higher cadence than 96 minutes)

      - selection between the FD and HR mode would be done in advance
        depending on the actual activity situation on the Sun
      - in case of FR mode we would prefer E-W elongated MDI FOV			

- MDI period requested: 18/11-26/11/2006

- MDI time requested: each day from 08:00 till 12:00 UT if possible

Operation of the campaign will be performed directly at Tenerife at
the VTT but using my home email address [email-masked].

We understand that several technical limitations and other requests
can seriously limit your possibilities to joint with your MDI data
our g-b campaign. Nevertheless your B_long magnetograms would be very
helpful for our work.

Looking forward to hear from you whether you can support our g-b
observations and with many thanks beforehand

Jan Rybak

TL, 02/11/2006

**************************************************************************
* Jan Rybak                   tel.  : ++421 52 78791-56 (-11 secretary)  *
* Astronomical Institute      fax   : ++421 52 4467 656                  *
* Slovak Academy of Sciences  email : [email-masked]                      *
* 05960 Tatranska Lomnica     WWW   : http://www.astro.sk/~choc          *
* Slovak Republic                                                        *
**************************************************************************

---

From: Jan Rybak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 07:30:47 +0000 (UTC)

Dear Sarah,

it's nice to hear you again via email.

> I'm sorry for the delayed response.  MDI will be in the 26m SOHO Keyhole 
> starting 24 Nov, but I expect to have decent DSN coverage during that time 
> anyway.  Taking a quick look a the projected DSN schedule, we do have DSN 
> from ~7-13UT every day with at least an hour or two each day during that time 
> period.  

Very promising.
 
> However, I recently switched MDI from better focus for HR observing to better 
> focus for FD observing.  I would strongly suggest that MDI stay in Full Disk 
> mode for your observing time and not do any HR.  The focus setting we are 
> currently in is just not optimal for HR observing.
> 
> Will the full disk Magnetograms still be useful to you?

Yes, please do not change you plans. We will use the FD MDI mags.

Crucial for us is to have these MDI FD mag data during ~7-13UT period with 
1 min cadence and the MDI WL images as frequently as possible (96 min cadence is 
too low for us, something like 5 minutes would be optimal).

With many thanks for you kind support in advance

Jan Rybak

TL, 09/11/2006

PS: web page of our campaign: 
http://www.astro.sk/~choc/open/06_opticon_vtt/06_opticon_vtt.html

> 
> Sarah
> 
> On Thursday 02 November 2006 03:40, Jan Rybak wrote:
> -- 
> Sarah E. Gregory		E-mail:[email-masked]
> Stanford University		http://mdisas.nascom.nasa.gov/Collaborate
> NASA/GSFC			Phone:301-286-9054
>