Subject: CDS support for JOP189 - Aug 3-31

From: Jan Rybak <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:52:57 +0000 (UTC)

Dear Cristina - CDS planner in charge,

according to our expressed interest for the CDS support for the JOP189
we see that for this week our program is scheduled as requested for the
days Aug 3-5 - information we have got in "CDS OPERATIONS 30 JUL - 5 AUG 2007"
email. So many thanks to you and all other CDS colleagues involved.

As our STUDIES TO RUN - VARDYN_A/v1 (duration 7hr 10min) and VARDYN_B/v1
(duration 13hr 5min) - have already been run several times so we expect no 
serious problems. 

Just a note: there are alternatives to these two runs named VARDYN_C/v1 
(duration 7hr 10min) and VARDYN_D/v1 (duration 13hr 5min) in which
the 100-second full detector exposure is omitted to save the detector in case of 
an active region observations. Therefore we suggest to be on the safe side - 
to replace VARDYN_A/v1 and VARDYN_B/v1 with VARDYN_C/v1 and VARDYN_D/v1. 
These alternatives were already prepared and tested.

According to the previous email of Peter Young (given below) we expect the CDS
support of our JOP189 also during next weeks till Aug 17. As CDS is our key 
instrument to reach goals of our campaign we hope this will be possible to realize.

Finally, please send all email correspondence related to JOP189 to the
following addresses: [email-masked] (Peter Gomory) and [email-masked] (Jan Rybak).
Peter will be supporting DOT observations at La Palma and Jan will try to
coordinate observations (DOT, SOHO, TRACE, HINODE) from Slovakia.

We are looking forward for fruitful cooperation.

With best wishes

Jan Rybak and Peter Gomory

TL, 31/7/2007

PS: Web page of our campaign: http://www.astro.sk/~choc/open/07_dot/07_dot.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous correspondence on JOP189 with the CDS team:

>From [email-masked]  Wed May  2 11:17:25 2007
From: "Young, PR \(Peter\)" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Fludra, A \(Andrzej\)" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>,
        <[email-masked]>

Dear Peter,

Thanks for your request. We will be able to support your campaign
however we can not offer support during the 34m keyhole (18-31 August).
Our operations are severely limited during the keyhole and so we only do
very basic synoptic studies during this time. Depending on the precise
keyhole schedule you may also lose 2 or 3 days before the 34m keyhole,
but I can't confirm this at present.

CDS has already agreed to support the filament/cavity campaign you
mention but we are happy to support both campaigns. The only problem may
be if you both require the same observing period for ground-based
observatories. Some compromise will be needed in this case. Please check
with the SOHO SOC who will help in coordinating the two campaigns.

In summary then, we will be able to support you each day during 3-17
August but with the provisos given above.

Thanks,

	Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 02 May 2007 11:56
To: Young, PR (Peter)
Cc: Fludra, A (Andrzej); [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: request for CDS support

Dear Dr. Young,

after very successful coordinated campaign between DOT (LaPalma)
telescope and SOHO/CDS spectrometer performed in July 2006
(http://www.astro.sk/~choc/open/06_dot/06_dot.html)
we would like to repeat this coordinated campaign also in 2007.

Fortunately we were able to manage to get the DOT support for 28 days
(3-31/8/2007) this year!

Now we work on other supporting instruments among which the CDS
involvement is crucial (see proposal at
http://www.astro.sk/~choc/open/07_dot/rybak_dot_proposal_2007.pdf).

Based on experience we have gained last year we would prefer the CDS to
run for us the VARDYN_C/v1 (06:40-13:30 UT) targeted at an active region
or alternatively VARDYN_A/v1 focused on the quiet Sun (06:40-13:30 UT).
Both runs were already used several times. Targets will be selected on a
daily basis according to the actual activity on the solar disk in
advance.

We have recognized that there are at the moment two limiting factors
which could affect our campaign:

1/ Aug 12-Sep 09 26m Keyhole (Aug 18-Sep 03 34m Keyhole):
       - higher change of data loss
       - possibly no MDI HR/FD data after Aug 12/17 2/ Aug 5-18
campaign: Filament/Cavity-CME-ICME IHY-CIP campaign,
                      CDS/UVCS/TRACE/Hinode-EIS/Hinode-XRT/Hinode-SOT/
                      COMP/SOLARC/
                      ProMag/MWA/RHESSI,
                      POC: Terry Kucera

We send you our request in advance before contacting the SOHO SOC as we
understand that there is almost no chance to get the CDS support for 28
days in one run... Therefore we would like to ask you what is a
acceptable number of days for one (our) campaign and how we can schedule
these days in August 2007 having the SOHO keyhole in mind (is it
possible to get some CDS data also during the SOHO keyhole?).

Due to MDI possibility to provide HR/FD data only before Aug 12/17 we
would highly welcome a continuous CDS support for our campaign at least
for Aug 3-11 or, if possible, for Aug 3-17.

As support of the European ground based telescopes is guaranteed we are
interested only in the morning hours (~06:30-13:30) leaving rest of time
for other possible studies (e.g. Filament/Cavity-CME-ICME IHY-CIP
campaign by Terry Kucera).

Of course, we understand more other reasons could appear in the
meantime.
Nevertheless we would be obliged to get your reply and answer. Based on
it we will continue to discuss our campaign with the MDI, TRACE, and
SOHO planners (the observing details of all participating instruments
are listed below).

With many thanks beforehand

Peter Gomory and Jan Rybak, coordinators of the SOHO/DOT/TRACE observing
campaign

Observatorio del Roque de los Muchachos, 02/05/2007

************************************************************************
**
* Peter Gomory                tel.  : ++421 52 7879 166 (111 secretary)
*
* Astronomical Institute      fax   : ++421 52 4467 656
*
* Slovak Academy of Sciences  email : [email-masked]
*
* 05960 Tatranska Lomnica     WWW   : http://www.astro.sk/~gomory
*
* Slovak Republic
*
************************************************************************
**
------------------------------------------------------------------------
--

CAMPAIGN :

Title: Physical mechanisms driving solar microflares and supergranular
       network dynamics - relevance for coronal heating and mass supply

Principal Investigator: Jan Rybak ([email-masked])

Web page: http://www.astro.sk/~choc/open/07_dot/07_dot.html

Instruments/telescopes: DOT, Kanzelhoehe, Hvar
                        CDS/SOHO, MDI/SOHO, EIT/SOHO, TRACE, RHESSI

Targets: 0/ default target: exact disk center
         1/ microflares in active regions
         2/ supergranular network
         all near disk center (inside MDI HR FOV
                               roughly: E250"-W250",N150"-S400")

Scheduled period: 03-31/08/2007
                  06:30-13:30 UT for space-born instruments

- CDS : 1D slit mode: fixed in the particular X,Y coordinates
                      slit width=2", slit length=142"
        2D raster mode: +-10 slit positions around the 1D mode
                        slit position (in X-axis)
                        raster area: 42"x142"
        slit NS oriented
        schedule: 2D rasters : 07:00-07:30, 13:00-13:30
                  1D slit    : 07:30-13:00
        spectral lines: He I 584 (2x10^4K), O III 599 (8x10^4K),
                        O V 629 (2.5x10^5K), Ne VI 562 (8x10^5K),
                        Mg IX 386 (1x10^6K), Si XII 520 (2x10^6K)

- TRACE : requested time : 06:30-14:00 UT
          main channel 171A, ~40s cadence; 1216, 1550, 1600, WL every 15
          cycles (10min)
          FOV - minimum 340"x340"
          no rotation compensation

- MDI : HR mode if possible, 1 magnetogram each minute, 1 intensitygram
at
        least each 96min
        FD mode after Aug 18

- EIT : summary images at 07:00-07:30, 13:00-13:30
        rest of the time 195 A (CME watch) each ~12 minutes

- DOT : H alpha scans: 0.0,+/-0.35 A cadence at least 20s (if possible)
        Ca II H: line center
        Blue and red continuum, G-band