Subject: sot_co

From: Peter Gomory <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:38:28 +0000 (UTC)

Dear SOT planners,

we have already applied for the observing time in a frame of the joint 
observing campaign of the SOHO/SUMER and HINODE/EIS spectrometers
following suggestion of the SUMER PI Werner Curdt. 
This program was included to the SOHO+HINODE April 2007 campaign 
(program 25) scheduled for week 15. 

For our scientific goals it would be great if we can get also support 
of the SOT instrument.

Our main aim is to study upper parts of the solar atmosphere (i.e. 
chromosphere, transition region and corona) in order to identify the 
most probable physical mechanism responsible for the heating of the 
solar corona localized particularly in/above chromospheric network. 
The detailed scientific justification of our observing program and the 
description of the SUMER and EIS observing details can be found at 
http://www.mps.mpg.de/homes/curdt/hinode/HINODE_cases.html
(observing program nr. 25). 

The main argument to try to acquire also SOT data for this program
is that the filtergrams taken in G-band and blue continuum should 
enable us to analyze footpoints of the magnetic field concentrations. 
These magnetic elements, visible as the photospheric bright points 
concentrated in the network, are considered to be the prime candidate 
for drivers of the coronal heating mechanisms (Muller at al., A&A 283, 232). 

Moreover, time series of the SOT filtergrams taken in the Ca II H spectral 
line will provide additional information about behaviour of waves in the 
chromosphere and they will allow better identification of the coronal 
heating mechanism.

Therefore, SOT measurements will definitely improve the quality and 
complexity of our observing campaign. We add here technical details for
possible SOT support of our program.  

SOT observing details (Broad Filter Imager):
--------------------------------------------
- FOV: 60" x 109"
- spectral channels: G-band, Ca II H, blue continuum
                     (sequentially in time if possible, 
                      if only one channel could be selected 
                      then G-band channel is preferred)
- cadence of a set of these 3 channels: 10-15 sec
- total run duration: minimum: ~3.5 hours
                      optimum: ~7.0 hours
- no compensation of the solar rotation
- target: quiet Sun near disk center with the SUMER 1D slit in the center
  of the SOT FOV
- pointing: specified via e-mail a day in advance

We would be very obliged if the SOT will be able to support
our program with this type of observations. Therefore we
would be obliged to hear from you whether this is realistic
in frame of the SOHO+HINODE campaign scheduled for April
2007 (week 15 in our case).

With best wishes and many thanks beforehand

Peter Gomory, coordinator of the SOHO/HINODE April 2007 program 25

Tatranska Lomnica, 26/03/2007

**************************************************************************
* Peter Gomory                tel.  : ++421 52 7879 166 (111 secretary)  *
* Astronomical Institute      fax   : ++421 52 4467 656                  *
* Slovak Academy of Sciences  email : [email-masked]                    *
* 05960 Tatranska Lomnica     WWW   : http://www.astro.sk/~gomory        *
* Slovak Republic                                                        *
**************************************************************************