Subject: Re: EIS propsal - Rybak et al.

From: Khalid Al-Janabi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:04:53 +0100

Dear Jan,

Thank you for your prompt response. I am still waiting to hear from our 
guys in Japan (hopefully tomorrow) about the 8-12 UT run, which I hope 
will resolve all the issues. In the mean time:

There is one functionality of EIS that can be used in cases like these 
and they are called "raster repeats". When you use 1 (1 instance), you 
get the following:

Context |---------------------|

And when you use 2 (2 instances), you get the following:

Context |---------------------|
Context |---------------------|

In this way you don't have to put the study rasters sequentially in the 
study, but create one raster and put raster repeat to 2. So your study 
can be realized using 3 rasters only:

  Context (repeat = 3) |---------------------|

  SNS (repeat = 12)               |

  Context (repeat = 3) |---------------------|

This applies to scanning and sit stare rasters.

Please fell free to ask questions. This may apply to your original 
design of the study, but the 8-12 UT may require different handling 
(simple).

Regards,
Khalid

---

From: Khalid Al-Janabi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:25:39 +0100

Dear Jan,

I am clear about how your study should be modified/handled. However 
there is one issue about the study use that need to be clarified:

Jan Rybak wrote:
>>  > On the other hand please consider that
>>  > preferentially we ask for TIMING 08:00-12:00 UT for each run.
>>  > This is the very narrow interval with the highest DOT/LaPalma best
>>  > seeing chance.
>>
>> Then I need to check a couple of points with our people in Japan and get 
>> back to you.
>>
> 
> WE STAY TUNED FRO YOUR NEXT EMAILS.

Please note that Hinode uplink contacts are between 8-11UT (three contacts):

First contact (~8 UT): S/C uplink (EIS operations are unaffected)
Second contact (~9:30 UT): EIS observation table upload (science stopped 
for ~15 minutes)
Third contact (~ 11:00): XRT/SOT uplink continuation (EIS operations are 
unaffected)

So to run your study:

1) Run context (~8 UT)
2) Run SNS * N times
3) Stop for ~15 minutes (~9:30 UT) for EIS tables upload
4) Run SNS * M times
5) run context just before 12 UT
6) Stop at ~12 UT

In another way, you will have a gap of approximately 15 minutes in your 
study run.

Let me know whether this is acceptable to you.

Regards,
Khalid