[astroCS] Kopal conference - final announcement

zejda zejda at hvezdarna.cz
Sat Mar 20 17:47:06 UTC 2004

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

                       Final Announcement

                    International Conference:

                ZDENEK KOPAL'S BINARY STAR LEGACY

                Litomysl, Bohemia, Czech Republic

                    31 March to 3 April 2004

                    http://var.astro.cz/kopal

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

   Dear colleagues,

   appended you will find the final program and schedule of the
conference and some additional information on logistical issues.
An abstract booklet will be distributed upon arrival at the
registration desk.

   By now we have registrations of over 100 participants.
Needless to say that all of you should have made their hotel/hostel
reservations and payment of registration fees, except for those who
have arranged special agreements with the LOC.

   On the occasion of Kopal's 90th birthday the Academy of Sciences
of the Czech Republic has organized a press conference to be held on
Monday, 29 March, at its center, Narodni str. 3, Prague, at 10 a.m.

   There will also be a brief ceremony at the Prague Slavin cemetery
at 2 p.m., where the President of the IAU, Prof. R.D. Ekers is expected.

   The LOC has organized a bus from Prague airport and Prague center
(Rudolfinum) to Litomysl to leave Prague airport on Tuesday, 30 March,
at 6:30 p.m. and Prague center at the Rudolfinum at 7:00 p.m.
"Rudolfinum" is a famous building in Prague, located at the banks
of the Vltava river (address: Alsovo nabrezi 12, http://www.rudolfinum.cz)
- see:
http://www.mapy.cz/handler.py?action=size&mapWidth=772&mapHeight=560&zoom=70&lon=51894760&lat=180322864&highlight=pnt=458168_-5548766_select&title=

Conference participants are invited to use this free shuttle service.
Travel time will be around 3 hours. A return bus is scheduled for
Sunday, 4 April, to leave Litomysl with destination Prague airport
probably at 2:00 p.m (departure time can still be changed according
to your wishes). Other travel information is found below and on the
conference web pages http://var.astro.cz/kopal - under section
"travel information".

   Thanks to your contributions, we are looking forward to a most exciting
conference program, with about 50 talks and more than 30 posters occupying
four complete days. Moreover, the LOC also spent great efforts to organize
a series of cultural events for your delight in your leisure time.

   We are looking forward to seeing all of you soon,

     Horst Drechsel (for SOC) and Milos Zejda (for LOC)

Wednesday, 31 March 2004

10:00   OPENING

10:30   I. INTRODUCTION:
           REMINISCENCES AND APPRECIATION OF A GREAT ASTRONOMER

        A. Batten                               (I45)

                  Digging foundations for the "Royal Road"

        E. Budding                              (I45)

                  One Fellow's View of the "Royal Road"

12:00   Lunch

14:00   M. Kitamura                             (I45)

                  Reminiscences of a Japanese contemporary

        M. Solc                                 (C30)

                  RR CrB and Algol - the first and last star
                  in Zdenek Kopal's life with binaries

        A.M. Cherepashchuk                      (I45)

                  Atmospheric eclipses in WR+O binaries:
                  from Kopal and Shapley to present days

16:00   Coffee break

16:30   Poster session

18:00   Dinner

20:00   Welcome reception and poster exhibition

Thursday, 1 April

 9:00   II. BINARY STAR MORPHOLOGY AND DYNAMICAL ASPECTS

        I. Pustylnik                            (I45)

                  Resolving the Algol paradox and Kopal's
                  classification of close binaries with
                  evolutionary implications

        C.L. Goudas                             (C30)

                  The global solution of dynamical systems

10:15   Coffee break

10:45   H. Rovithis-Livaniou                    (I45)

                  Period variations of close binaries

        Kh.F. Khaliullin                        (I45)

                  Apsidal motion

        I.M. Volkov                             (C15)

                  The unique binary system alpha CrB

12:30   Lunch

13:30   P. Mayer                                (I45)

                  Triple and multiple systems

        W. Van Hamme                            (C30)

                  Estimation of light time effects for
                  close binaries in triple systems

        V. Bakis                                (C15)

                  On the astrometric solution of the
                  triple system XY Leo

        D. Chochol                              (C15)

                  V475 Sct (Nova Scuti 2003) - binary or
                  triple system?

        A. Dariush                              (C15)

                  Photometric observations and apsidal
                  motion study of V1143 Cyg

15:30   Coffee break

16:00   N. Samus                                (I45)

                  Intrinsic variables as components of
                  close binaries

        P. Koubsky                              (C15)

                  Be stars in binaries

        A. Budovicova                           (C15)

                  Orbital solution of omicron And
                  using spectral disentangling

        Z. Sima                                 (C15)

                  Mass limit of mass transfer in close binaries

        S. Csizmadia                            (C15)

                  Physical processes in contact binary stars:
                  mass and luminosity transfer

18:00   Dinner

20:00   Opera - Vit Zouhar: Coronide (Ensemble Damian)

Friday, 2 April

 9:00   III. MATHEMATICAL PHYSICS AND NUMERICAL MODELLING

        III.1 SOLUTION OF ECLIPSE LIGHT CURVES

        R.E. Wilson                             (I45)

                  Generalized eclipsing binary models

        O. Demircan                             (I45)

                  Basic functions of the light curve analysis of
                  eclipsing binaries in the frequency domain

10:30   Coffee break

11:00   D. Terrell                              (I45)

                  Photometric mass ratios and parameter
                  recovery from binary star data

        S. Nesslinger                           (C15)

                  Light curve analysis of early-type close
                  binaries in the LMC

        D. Graczyk                              (C15)

                  Long period eclipsing binaries in the
                  Magellanic Clouds as distance indicators

12:30   Lunch

14:00   P. Hadrava                              (I45)

                  New techniques and limitations of light curve
                  analysis

        V. Pustylnik                            (C15)

                  A new package of computer codes for analyzing
                  light curves of eclipsing precataclysmic binaries
                  (PCB): application to UU Sge and V477 Lyr

        M. Bauer                                (C15)

                  Light curve analysis of early-type
                  overcontact systems

        G. Djurasevic                           (C15)

                  Photometric study of the activity of SW Lac

15:30 Coffee break

16:00   A. Prsa                                 (C15)

                  Using PHOEBE for binary star modelling -
                  demonstrating usage and assessing perspectives

        B. Kalomeni                             (C15)

                  Flickering and light-curve variation of the
                  magnetic cataclysmic variable star AM Herculis

        K. Gazeas                               (C15)

                  CCD photometry and modelling of the overcontact
                  eclipsing binary systems NN Vir and YY CrB

        R. Pazhouhesh                           (C15)

                  Radial velocity and light curve analysis of the
                  eclipsing binary NN Vir

        K. Yakut                                (C15)

                  The overcontact binary system V2388 Oph

        E.-B. Alawy                             (C15)

                  FZ Orionis: revised

18:00   Dinner

20:30   Concert of the Wallinger String Quartet

Saturday, 3 April

 9:00   III.2 EVOLUTIONARY CALCULATIONS

        P. Eggleton                             (I45)

                  Evolutionary calculations of low-mass systems

        B. de Loore                             (I45)

                  The evolution of massive close binaries

        B. de Loore                             (C15)

                  Binary evolution compared to observed Algols

10:45   Coffee break

11:15   III.3 EXPLORING INTERACTION EFFECTS - MODERN TOOLS

        P. Niarchos                             (I45)

                  Contact binaries: a study of proximity effects and
                  gravity darkening based on Kopal's Fourier method

        E. Budding                              (I45)

                  Multiwavelength study of the Algol system delta Lib

12:45   Lunch

13:30   D. Bisikalo                             (I45)

                  Numerical modelling of mass transfer in close binaries

        T. Marsh                                (I45)

                  Doppler tomography

15:00   Coffee break

15:30   K. Pavlovski                            (C15)

                  An indirect imaging of the accretion disk rim in W Cru

        A. Skopal                               (C15)

                  Present understanding of the light curves of
                  symbiotic binaries

        R.F. Viotti                             (C15)

                  Optical and X-ray observations of the symbiotic
                  system AG Dra

        M. Friedjung                         (C15)

                  Towards an understanding of a radial velocity shift
                  in UV spectra of symbiotic binaries

        Closing comments

17:30   Public panel discussion on Prof. Kopal
        (in English, translated to Czech)

19:00   Dinner
  or
19:00   Folkloristic concert

20:30   Unveiling of a Kopal monument at his birthplace

21:00   Closing reception

Sunday, 4 April

 9:00 - 11:00     Sightseeing tour of the town of Litomysl

MEETING ORGANIZERS

* Astronomical Institute of Charles University, Prague
* Astronomical Institute of Academy of Science, Ondrejov
* Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Brno
* B.R.N.O. - Variable Star Section of the Czech Astronomical Society
* Observatory and Planetarium Hradec Kralove
* Observatory Upice
* Institute of Care of Monuments, Pardubice

The conference is sponsored under auspices of:

* Deputy Prime Minister for research and development, human rights
  and human resources, Petr Mares
* Governor of district Pardubice, Roman Linek
* Mayor of Litomysl, Jan Janecek
* Czech Astronomical Society

SCIENTIFIC ORGANIZING COMMITTEE (SOC):

Alan Batten              Dominion Astrophysics Observatory,
                         Victoria, Canada
Dmitrij V. Bisikalo      Inst. of Astronomy, Russian Academy of
                         Sciences, Moscow, Russia
Edwin Budding            CIT/Carter Observatory, Wellington,
                         New Zealand
Osman Demircan           Canakkale Onsekiz Mart University,
                         Canakkale, Turkey
Horst Drechsel (chair)   Dr. Remeis Observatory, Astron. Institute,
                         Univ. Erlangen-Nuernberg, Bamberg, Germany
Petr Hadrava             Astron. Institute Ondrejov,
                         Academy of Sciences of CZ
Pavel Mayer              Astronomical Institute, Charles University,
                         Prague, CZ
Zdenek Mikulasek         Inst. of Theoretical Physics and
                         Astrophys., Masaryk University, Brno, CZ
Izold Pustylnik          Tartu Observatory, Estonia
Nikolaj N. Samus         Inst. of Astronomy, Russian Academy of Sciences;
                         Sternberg Astronomical Inst., Moscow, Russia
Dimitar Sasselov         Harvard University, Dept. of Astronomy, USA
Augustin Skopal          Astron. Institute, Tatranska Lomnica,
                         Academy of Sciences, Slovak Republic
Robert Wilson            Astronomy Dept., University of Florida, USA
Marek Wolf               Astronomical Institute, Charles University,
                         Prague, CZ
Miloslav Zejda           N. Copernicus Observatory and Planetarium,
                         Brno, CZ

LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE (LOC):

Miloslav Zejda (chair), Miroslav Broz, Petr Hajek, Ondrej Pejcha
(BRNO-VSS), Eva Piknova, Michaela Severova (Litomysl), Jan Janik (FS MU)

CONTACT ADDRESS:

M. Zejda:  N. Copernicus Observatory and Planetarium,
           Kravi hora 2, 61600 Brno, CZ
           Phone:  420 541321287, fax 420 541233389
           WWW:    http://var.astro.cz/kopal

E-mail:    H. Drechsel (SOC):   drechsel at sternwarte.uni-erlangen.de
           M. Zejda (LOC):      zejda at hvezdarna.cz, mobil-phone:
+420-721-377-398

MEETING SITE:

The East Bohemian town of Litomysl emerged in the 13th century on the
site of an older fortified settlement on the Trstenice path -
an important trading route linking Bohemia and Moravia.
The dominant feature of Litomysl is the monumental Renaissance castle
dating from the years 1568-1581. The buildings of the castle precincts
are not only exceptional for their architectural refinement, but have
also inscribed themselves in history as the birth place of the Czech
national composer, Bedrich Smetana. On the elongated square, which is
one of the largest in the Czech Republic, a town hall of Gothic
origin and a series of Renaissance and baroque houses are found, many
of them with arcades and vaulted groundfloor rooms. One of the most
important of these is the House At the Knights (U Rytiru) with its
remarkable facade. In the past the town was also a significant
religious centre; it was in Litomysl in 1344 that the second bishopric
to be established in Bohemia was founded.
The cultural traditions of the town go much beyond regional and national
frontiers. The exquisite interiors of the castle, especially the baroque
castle theatre, the amphitheatre in the castle park and Smetanas' house,
all offer varied programmes of concerts and theatrical performances and
thus enrich the life of the town throughout the year. Litomysl came to
public notice in a political context as well: in 1994 the meeting of the
seven Central European presidents took place at the castle, and in 1995
the Spanish royal couple visited the town. The chateau complex was
included in the UNESCO list of cultural monuments 1999. Litomysl was
awarded the title "Historical town of the year 2000".

(for more information see www.litomysl.cz)

PROCEEDINGS:

The invited review talks, contributed talks and posters will be
published in a special proceedings issue of the Kluwer journal
Astrophysics & Space Science, which was founded by Kopal.
Invited talks will have a page limit of 12 pages (in exceptional cases
more on request), contributed and poster papers are limited to 4 pages,
but should also not cover less. The deadline for submission of
LaTeX style manuscripts will be announced during the
meeting and will be within a few weeks after the end of the conference.
There will be no camera-ready form required, because manuscripts are
type-set by Kluwer. Manuscripts will be refereed. Kluwer then takes
about five months until final publication.

ACCOMMODATION, MEALS:

Conference participants will be accommodated at Hotel Dalibor,
Komenskeho nam. 1053, 570 01 Litomysl, CZ, and at student hostels.
Accommodation is arranged by Dr. Janik (honza at physics.muni.cz).
In case of any questions concerning your reservation, please contact
him directly.

Lunch and evening meals will be served at the conference site in
Litomysl castle. The approximate price of a main meal will be about
100 CZK = 3 EUR (light version) or 250 CZK (opulent meal).
Vegetarian meals or pork-free meals are also available.

REGISTRATION:

The normal registration fee is 130 EUR, late registration fee (after
15 March 2004) costs 160 EUR, and the reduced fee for accompanying
persons is 35 EUR. The full registration fee includes coffee, admission
to reception, excursion, concert, abstract booklet, and a copy of the
proceedings. The reduced registration fee will only cover admission to
conference sessions and concert, and coffee.

Should you not yet have paid your registration fee, please pay it in
cash upon arrival at the registration desk in Litomysl.

TRAVEL INFORMATION:

Litomysl is located 150 km east of Prague, 85 km north of Brno, and
50 km south of Hradec Kralove.

Railway and busses:

There is no direct train connection between Prague and Litomysl.
You can use busses from Prague or Brno or (international) trains to
Ceska Trebova, and from there local trains or busses to Litomysl.
We recommend to change trains at Ceska Trebova.

  Trains from Prague to Ceska Trebova on March 30:

  from                  departure  arrival   train number
  Praha, Hlavni nadrazi   7:05       9:01    IC121 KOSICAN
  Praha, Hlavni nadrazi   8:26      10:13    EC73 SMETANA
  Praha, Hlavni nadrazi   9:05      11:01    Ex141 DETVAN
  Praha, Hlavni nadrazi  10:29      12:13    EC279
  Praha, Hlavni nadrazi  11:05      13:01    EC107 Praha
  Praha, Holesovice      12:29      14:13    EC171
  Praha, Hlavni nadrazi  13:05      15:01    Ex143 Odra
  Praha, Holesovice      14:29      16:13    EC173
  Praha, Hlavni nadrazi1  6:26      18:13    EC133 SLOVENSKA STRELA
  Praha, Hlavni nadrazi  18:41      20:35    Ex507 HUTNIK

  Busses from Ceska Trebova to Litomysl on March 30:
(bus station is located next to train station in Ceska Trebova)

  departure Ceska Trebova     arrival Litomysl
      9:15                        9:45
     10:35                       11:10
     11:50                       12:20
     13:00                       13:30
     13:45                       14:17
     14:35                       15:00
     15:25                       15:55
     16:25                       16:55
     18:30                       19:00

  Direct busses from Prague to Litomysl on March 30:

  departure Praha, Florenc    arrival Litomysl
     12:50                       15:55
     15:00                       18:18
     17:00                       19:50

  How to get from Prague airport (Ruzyne) to
Praha, Hlavni nadrazi (main train station):

  bus number 100 to station Zlicin and then subway B to station Florenc,
switch subway line to C and continue to station Hlavni nadrazi

  bus number 119 to station Dejvicka and then subway A to station Muzeum,
switch subway line to C and continue to station Hlavni nadrazi

  and to Praha, Holesovice (train station):

  bus number 100 to station Zlicin and then subway B to station Florenc,
switch subway line to C and continue to station Nadrazi Holesovice (end
station)

  bus number 119 to station Dejvicka and then subway A to station Muzeum,
switch subway line to C and continue to station Nadrazi Holesovice (end
station)

  and to Praha, Florenc (bus station):

  bus number 100 to station Zlicin and then subway B to station Florenc

  For your return trip:

  Busses from Litomysl to Ceska Trebova on April 4:

  departure Litomysl     arrival Ceska Trebova
      7:20               7:50
     11:40              12:10
     13:40              14:10
     15:40              16:15
     17:10              17:40

  Trains from Ceska Trebova to Prague on April 4:

  departure    arrival                       train number
      7:57      9:55 Praha, Hlavni nadrazi    IC504 JAN PERNER
      8:19     10:08 Praha, Hlavni nadrazi    EC132 SLOVENSKA STRELA
     12:57     14:55 Praha, Hlavni nadrazi    Ex142 ODRA
     13:19     15:05 Praha, Holesovice        EC172
     14:57     17:07 Praha, Hlavni nadrazi    Ex140 DETVAN
     15:19     17:05 Praha, Holesovice        EC170
     16:45     18:56 Praha, Hlavni nadrazi    R1502
     16:57     18:55 Praha, Hlavni nadrazi    IC120 KOSICAN
     17:19     19:05 Praha, Holesovice        EC278
     17:45     19:55 Praha, Hlavni nadrazi    R708 GALAN
     18:37     20:38 Praha, Hlavni nadrazi    EC106 PRAHA

  Direct busses from Litomysl to Prague on April 4:

  departure Litomysl     arrival Praha, Florenc
     10:45               13:45
     12:45               16:00
     14:40               17:30
     15:35               18:45

  See actual information under

      http://www.jizdnirady.cz
   or http://www.vlak.cz

  For travel information in Prague see http://www.dpp.cz (subway map)

  By car:

  If you want to use a Czech highway you must buy a stamp
(CZK 150 for 10 days, CZK 250 for 1 month).

  For a map of the Czech Republic see http://www.mapy.cz